Thursday, November 14, 2013

Be Yourself



            “You are so f-ing stupid!”  Not exactly an invitation to “Be Yourself” – words tossed like a hundred hand grenades with timing devices programmed to randomly explode at times long after you thought the battle was over.

            Madeleine L’Engle in her book A Circle of Quiet has introduced me to ontology.  And the book arrived at practically the same time as Faith Jam's writing prompt “Be Yourself”.  I call this dot connecting and the timing is not oddly enough, but godly enough.

            Sharing struggles in community is frightening.  My bunker during verbal skirmishes is the world of words.  My journals, books, Bible, study guides, blogs, and the letters, words, sentences, paragraphs, chapters, and volumes they form are my soldiers.  They surround me and stand ready to guard my heart and mind from the attacks, but even they are caught off guard at times.  No. I said that unfairly.  The Word is never with its guard down.  It truly stands at all times. 

            In times of peace my soldiers are more like children during story time.  They gather round me anxiously waiting to be engaged in my studies and my ponderings, eager to interact in the journey, yet willing to slip into the background as easily and wait to be called on in turn.  They make no demands on my time, on my attention, on my intellect, on my being.  They accept that I am whatever I am while treating me as if, no matter what, I am not f-ing stupid.  They believe it is their mission, their calling, to build me up, shape me, encourage me, not tear me down.

Image: Sattva on FreeDigitalPhotos.net
            So begins the Ontology Project.  A blog dedicated to being me, whoever that is.  I cannot safely explore this through my devotional blog.  I recognize and admit that the only blog by which any other knows me is less than transparent.  It is sanitized.  It is safe.  I'm not in a place at this moment where I feel that sharing this journey with those who believe they know me or have long known me is safe.  He who says I am f-ing stupid does not know I have a blog.  The blog would be stupid.  To read so much, to write so much, is stupid.  The very processes that bring me joy are, to him, stupid.


            While I'm sure that I long for him to catch glimpses of the real me, I don't know if it will ever be safe to do expose them.  And until it is safe, I don't want to be discovered and subjected to more grenades and new ammunition.

            I am more than what he says I am.  Surely.  To goodness.  I am more.

            And, for the record, The Ontology Project is about ME.  About being ME.  About becoming ME.

            Will you journey with me as I try to discover who I am, really?  Will you share what you are learning about what it means in your life to "be yourself"and then hop over to Faith Jam and journey with others who are keeping faith fresh?
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your visit. I am nosy so I came to see and I agree. We are a lot alike! And if he did find out there would be jealousy. And if he did find out he would use it to hurt you. I know, I know.

    I cried for two solid months after my tormentor left. I told myself I was such a bad wife... and a ton of other negative things. After two months I stopped and thought, why are you crying? Rejoice!

    Now just to unlearn all the 44 years of lessons that I had to remember 'if you know what is good for you'. :-)

    Love & praying for you,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are doing this project for you and to find you in a way that is safe right now. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived through that kind of word-slinging and some other things were sometimes slung alongside the words. I am grateful you have created a space to let this come out and breathe and be sorted and supported. Whatever you would encourage a friend to endure, do endure. Whatever you would take your friend out to coffee about and share your concern and tell her to make other choices -- well, listen to that as well. God will bless this, I know.
    Patty @ heartshomeward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, T. Renee. I feel so honored you would begin your ontology project -- about YOU -- with us in the Faith Jam. I know this voice that tells slams the door in front of your soul. But, turn towards the voice within you -- and you will find faith friends like me and those in the Faith Jam with you. We hear and see you. On this journey. together. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete